St. Monica Parish Blood Drive
St. Monica Catholic Church Blood Drive
Who: South Texas Blood & Tissue Center
What: St. Monica’s Catholic Church: Converse
When: Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 9am to 1pm
Where: Steubben Hall - Large Room
Blood Needs: S.O.S - SAVE OUR SUMMER
Community hospital patients are counting on you!
Thank you for stepping up by committing to donate blood this summer! The projected shortfall in blood donations is overwhelming and is especially burdensome during the Summer months. In June there is a gap of 2,581 units; July shows a need for 2,989 more units and August is under scheduled by 2,537 blood donations. Given the average blood drive produces 26 units, it is imperative participation among scheduled blood drives is expanded to include all of our parishioners who are able to donate.
• There is no substitute for human blood and all blood donations must come from a volunteer donor.
• Every two seconds, someone needs blood.
• One in seven people entering the hospital will need a blood transfusion. To ensure that there is blood on the shelf when it is needed, donations are always needed.
• The need for blood is ongoing and patient needs change frequently.
• The rarest blood type is the one not on the shelf when it’s needed by a patient.
• One pint of blood can save up to three lives.
• Donated blood has a shelf life. Red blood cells last 42 days.
• 70 percent of donated blood goes to patients with ongoing treatments, such as chemotherapy for leukemia.
• Donating whole blood only takes about 45 minutes to one hour
- You ARE ELIGIBLE to donate if you have Diabetes, High Cholesterol or High Blood Pressure or tattoos
- If you have any questions about donating please call 210-731-5555 or email email@example.com
• 16-year-old donors must weigh at least 120 pounds and have a signed parental consent form. Visit the Donation Process page at southtexasblood.org to find the consent form.
• 17+ must weigh at least 110 pounds
• All presenting donors must provide a photo ID, the last four digits of their SSN and birth date.
• All presenting donors must be in good general health.
For information about hosting a blood drive please call:
Liz Morales – 210-602-8668
Donor Recruitment Consultant